I cook chicken way more than anyone should. Honestly its part because I really do like chicken and part because its so affordable! However, because of this I am always looking for new ways to put a spin on chicken. Enter in my baked honey chicken with a kick!
Growing up, breaded and pan fried chicken cutlets with mac and cheese was my comfort meal. I'm pretty sure my siblings and I ate it at least once a week. And if I am being completely honest, I would still eat pan fried chicken cutlets with mac and cheese once a week, its just that good. However as I have grown my tastebuds have grown with me and I constantly feel the need to shake things up when it comes to cooking dinner. This chicken recipe came to me through two separate events/ recipes that I melded into one delicious dinner.
The first source of inspiration from a chicken recipe that I cooked over the holidays. The recipe instructed me to coat the chicken breast with sour cream before sticking panko breadcrumbs to the top and roasting it. This kept the chicken super moist, which I often struggle to do with chicken. The second source of inspiration was my 21 year old brother who I observed putting Sriracha and honey on top of a fried chicken breast sandwich. He's a flavor genius, what can I say? So I spent some time in my kitchen mixing Sriracha and honey, while coating my chicken in sour cream and my Baked Honey Chicken with a Kick was born!
This chicken dish is crispy while still being juicy and quick and easy to make while still being impressively delicious. The honey Sriracha drizzle combines sweet and spicy flavors and really gives a good shock to the tastebuds. It also only takes one pan, one spoon, and one small bowl to cook the whole meal so its an easy cleanup as well, talk about winner winner chicken dinner. Every time I cook it for dinner, its a hit. If you can read this recipe, you can cook this chicken!
This recipe serves two for dinner!
2 chicken breasts
Salt and Pepper
1 tbsp butter (I used whipped butter, but you can use any kid you want)
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tsp chili powder
3 tbsp sour cream (I've used both low fat and full fat sour cream for this recipe and both work well and taste the same when all is said and done)
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp Sriracha (but depending on your preferred spice level you can adjust)
1 tsp water
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with tinfoil (for easy cleanup)!
2. Place chicken breasts on the pan and season both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Melt butter in the microwave, and then pour melted butter over the panko breadcrumbs, season with chili powder and mix until the butter has lightly coated the breadcrumbs.
4. Coat the top of the chicken breasts with sour cream, then use your hands to gently press the breadcrumb mixture onto each chicken breast. Since this recipe is for two, just use half the mixture on each breast.
5. Place chicken in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees.
6. While the chicken cooks, stir together the honey and Sriracha until well combined. Use water to thin it out if needed, this will also help it drizzle better.
7. When chicken is done, take it out of the oven, drizzle with the honey Sriracha, and enjoy!