You know what they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Not only is breakfast the most important meal of my day, but it is also hands down my favorite meal of the day. I get great joy and pleasure from starting my day with a hot breakfast. However, as a teacher, I rarely get the chance to do this. During the school year, hot breakfast is a luxury that I only have time for on the weekends. On most school days its a quick bowl of cereal or a some fruit and overnight oatmeal, eaten quickly in my classroom while I am setting up they classroom for my students. Now that we are in summertime, I can have hot breakfast any day of the week, and trust me I make hot breakfast almost everyday now that I have the time.
In my new daily routine of making hot breakfast, I created this cheesy breakfast pie with a bacon crust. Yum, just typing the name makes my mouth water. This pie has everything I crave at breakfast time, eggs, cheese, broccoli (I love broccoli), and chives all neatly wrapped up in a pie crust and topped with crispy bacon. The pie is also super simple to make, and it keeps for a few days in the fridge and reheats beautifully. Which means you can make this pie on a Sunday night, and heat up leftovers for breakfast in days that follow. I will definitely be doing this when we eventually go back to school, so that I can have hot breakfast on a weekday!
Additionally, this pie would be perfect for a weekend brunch with friends or family! Its simple to make, but also looks impressive and is very filling. I wouldn't serve it as the only thing at brunch, but I think it would look wonderful as part of the brunch spread!
Cheesy breakfast pie with a bacon crust packs a ton of flavor into one pie. The flavors in this pie come from the broccoli, the chives, and the cheddar cheese. There's just something about these classic flavors that meld together so well. I could eat this pie everyday for breakfast! You can also throw in another vegetable or seasoning to shake up the pie and make it bolder. Thats the beauty of this pie, you can personalize it to make it work for you/the occasion you are making it for. Its simple to make and versatile for many occasions. If you can crack eggs, chop chives, and read, you can make this pie!
1 9 inch refrigerated pie crust (you can make your own if you'd like as well)
6 slices center cut bacon
6 large eggs
3/4 cup fat free half and half (you can use full fat if you prefer)
1 3/4 cup steamed broccoli, chopped
1 - 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (use more or less based on your preferences)
1/4 cup chopped chives
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roll pie crust out and place in a 9 inch pie plate. Crimp the edges if you wish and using a fork, poke holes in the bottom of the crust. This will prevent the pie crust from rising during its first bake, known as a blind bake, and insure a crispy crust.
3. Bake the pie crust for 15 minutes.
4. While the pie crust is baking, prepare the bacon top crust. Lay 3 slices of bacon vertically on a cookie sheet, then weave 3 slices horizontally through the other slices, to create an over/under lattice pattern. See photos below, or check out my youtube channel, for my easy bacon lattice technique! Bake the bacon lattice for 15 mins, until the bacon is crisp.
5. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, half and half, steamed broccoli, cheese, chives, salt, and pepper. Mix this well!
6. Remove the pie crust from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees. Let cool the pie crust cool for a few minutes and then pour the egg mixture into it. The mixture should reach the top without overflowing. Place the pie plate on a cookie sheet (to prevent any egg spilling into your oven) and bake in oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
7. Remove the pie from the oven, the crust should be golden brown and the eggs should be cooked and just set in the center. Take the bacon lattice, and gently lay it on top of the pie.
This pie serves 8 and keeps well for 3 to 5 days in the fridge.