I've spent many a night working my way through a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. I find it really hard to pick a favorite flavor out of their dozens of delectable flavors. It is almost as if there are certain flavors for certain occasions/ ice cream eating times in life. However over the course of my Ben and Jerry's ice cream eating life, one flavor has always been a go to for me. Chunky Monkey has been with me through it all. Chunky Monkey has a comforting smooth banana flavor combined with big chunks of chocolate and crunchy walnuts that never fail to get my tastebuds salivating!
As big of an ice cream lover as I am, somedays ice cream just isn't in the cards. Maybe its too cold outside, maybe I don't have ice cream on hand, or maybe I am just not in the mood for ice cream. With the recent COVID-19 social distancing order in effect, I have been craving nothing but warm comfort food. How do I combine comfort ice cream and warm comfort food? Enter my newest creation, Chunky Monkey Cookies.
These cookies have all the flavors I love from the ice cream pint, but the flavors are bundled up into a soft chewy cookie. The banana flavor cookie base is perfectly complimented by crunchy walnuts and perfect chocolate chunks. My Chunky Monkey Cookies are just begging to be dunked in a cold glass of your favorite milk/milk alternative. Insert heart eyes emoji here! I have never had a more comforting and delicious cookie before in my life.
Luckily, these cookies are as fast and easy to make as classic chocolate chip cookies are. They just have a few extra ingredients. If you can read this recipe, you can make Chunky Monkey Cookies!
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks
1 cup chopped walnuts (I like to leave mine roughly chopped so there are still nice sized pieces but you can chop to your desired consistency)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and whisk together gently.
3. In a separate bowl cream together butter and both sugars. I use a stand mixer for this step, you can also use a hand mixer! Beat butter and sugar together until nice and fluffy, about two minutes.
4. Add egg, mashed banana, and vanilla to the butter and sugar mixture and mix until well combined. The mixture might look a little soupy, that is fine, the flour will bring it together into a thicker cookie dough.
5. Add flour mixture one cup at a time. Mix until just combined, do not over mix you will end up with tough cookies!
6. Once all the flour is mixed in add chocolate chunks and chopped walnuts. Again, mix until just combined.
7. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease with butter. Scoop cookie dough onto the baking sheet using a tablespoon.
8. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, the cookies should be golden brown but still soft in the center when done. If they are not done after 12 minutes, continue to bake for an additional 2 minutes and check again.
9. Let cool on a wire rack and enjoy when cool!
This recipe makes approximately 4 dozen cookies!
As always, cookies pair best with a cold glass of milk/dairy free milk alternatives!