Updated: Mar 24
At some point during my undergrad years, I fell head over heels in love with the diner in my college town. Maybe it was the fact that the school dining hall food was less than desirable, or that I am a life long french fry lover, or that breakfast is my favorite meal and you can get breakfast at anytime at a diner. At other times I think that maybe the love of diners runs through my blood. My grandparents were big diner people and my father is one too.
I've spent many a good time in diners all over the place. One New Year's Eve my friends and had a massive feast at a diner and it was my ideal NYE dinner. In college my friend John and I had dozens of conversations, wrote screenplays, and even considered one day opening our own diner, over delicious diner food. The night Daniel proposed to me, I spent so much time calling family and friends telling them the exciting news, that most restaurants around us closed before we got a chance to eat dinner. Can you guess where we ended up eating? It was a diner! Nothing says "I am so excited to spend the rest of my life with you" quite like the cheese fries with gravy that we shared that night.
In December I had my all time favorite diner experience and meal. After cutting down a Christmas tree with my family we stopped at a diner for lunch. Wandering the woods looking for the right tree really works up an appetite. As I perused the menu, a never before seen menu item caught my eye. It was called adult grilled cheese, and was described as containing brie cheese, apples, and fig jam. I instantly knew I had to order the adult grilled cheese. It was perhaps the best meal of my life both inside and outside of a diner.
I have not shut up about this sandwich since consuming it. If it could go to the diner and eat it everyday I would, but thats not exactly something that fits into my daily life. So I decided to give it a shot and recreate it at home! I love the results, and I am so excited to share the results with you! This recipe is simple enough that it could be a quick and easy dinner but also fancy enough that you can serve it in small squares as an appetizer while entertaining. If you can read this recipe, you can make this dreamy diner adult grilled cheese!
1/2 apple, diced (I like to use granny smith apples but you can use any apple you like)
3 tablespoons fig jam/fig preserves
2 slices whole wheat bread (again this is what I like but feel free to choose your own favorite bread)
3 slices of brie cheese sliced long ways (see photo below)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease the baking sheet with butter/cooking spray.
2. Heat diced apples and fig jam in a pot over a low stove top flame for 5 to 7 minutes. The apples should be soft, but not falling apart as they will cook more in the oven!
3. Place to slices of bread on the baking sheet, place slices of brie on bread, 2 on each slice. You will have to cut your brie slices to fit the bread. I cut my 3 long slices in half and they fit wonderfully! Then spread apple and fig jam mixture on top of one slice of bread.
4. Slide baking sheet into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. The brie should be melty yet somewhat retain its shape. The apple and fig jam mixture should be bubbly, do not worry if it oozes and slides off the bread a little, its normal.
5. Remove the tray from the oven, put the sandwich together and let cool for 3 minutes.
6. Cut in half or into four squares and enjoy!
If you are having this for dinner it pairs well with a side salad or french fries!