The combination of salty and sweet flavors might just be the flavor combination that I am most thankful for. Sometimes, I just cannot make up my mind between a salty or a sweet snack, luckily I've concocted a delicious snack that satisfies either a sweet tooth, a salty tooth, or a tooth that wants it both ways thanks to my soft baked honey wheat pretzel balls with cinnamon cream cheese dipping sauce.
The soft texture of these pretzel bites, paired with the sweetness of the baked in honey flavor, make this a truly wonderful snack for when you just can't, or don't want to decide between sweet and salty. Pair it with the cinnamon cream cheese dipping sauce, and you are in for a truly indulgent and special treat or snack. In fact, once social distancing is over I am having a dinner party and these pretzels are going to be the star appetizer/ snack or dessert. I can easily serve them for either or!
If you have never made your own pretzels before, you will be shockingly surprised at how easy the process is. This is especially true with this recipe, as we are just making pretzel bites and not rolling out full pretzels. While mixing the pretzel dough requires a little elbow grease, the rest of the steps are easy. Trust me, I've made these pretzel bites in my Pre-K classroom with seventeen little helpers. The pretzel bites weren't perfectly shaped, but they were perfectly delicious; there were no leftovers for me to eat! I'll take that as a five star review. But just incase you don't trust the taste buds of seventeen 3 and 4 year olds, I have tested these pretzels and their dipping sauce on friends, family, and my soft pretzel enthusiast fiancé and they have great reviews. If you can read this recipe and knead some dough, you can make these pretzels!
Ingredients: (For Honey Wheat Pretzels)
1 tbsp dry active yeast
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil (plus some more for greasing the bowl)
1 cup honey
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
Sea salt or flaky salt for sprinkling
Ingredients: (For Cream Cheese Dipping sauce)
8oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
To Make; (Pretzels)
1. In a small bowl combine the yeast, warm water and sugar. Mix gently and set aside for 10 minutes, the yeast and sugar should be dissolved.
2. In a large mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon, combine flour, salt, oil, 3/4 cup of honey and yeast/sugar mixture. After a combining the ingredients with the spoon, use your hands to mix/knead the dough for 6 minutes. I told you these pretzels were a workout!
3. Grease a large bowl lightly with oil (so the dough doesn't stick), place the dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Give the dough two hours to rise, it should double in size during this time.
4. After the dough has risen, generously flour a working space and divide the dough into 40 equal pieces, you can eyeball it or if you'd like to be more exact, use a kitchen scale each dough ball should weigh 1 oz!
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Also set water to boil.
6. Now its time to form the pretzel balls, just roll the dough balls into a round shape! Easy peasy!
7. Once you've formed all your pretzel balls, combine baking powder and boiling water in a bowl, dip a few pretzel balls at a time in the hot mixture for 30 seconds and then place on the baking pans. This step really makes the outside layer of the pretzel balls brown well and gives them a crisp crust!
8. Stir the rest of your honey (1/4 cup) into the melted butter and brush the pretzels with the mixture, then sprinkle with salt!
9. Bake for 12 minutes, until pretzels are golden brown on top and crisp! Let cool for 15 minutes.
To Make (Cinnamon Cream Cheese Dipping sauce)
1. Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, and cinnamon together until fluffy! You can use a hand or stand mixer for this!
2. Put in a bowl and serve alongside pretzel balls!